Advice and tips on caring for your dentures
- Only your dental professional is qualified to diagnose your oral health and adjust your denture or partial.
- Dentures should be brushed inside and outside daily with a soft, large nylon denture tooth brush with round-ended bristles.
- Use denture creams instead of toothpastes, which are too abrasive and will scratch your denture. Rinse with cold water.
- Inspect your denture regularly for worn teeth.
- Worn and stained dentures can make you look older and cause your dentures to function poorly.
- Discuss all your current medications with your doctor and dental professional.
- Periodic exams are important for oral health and proper function of your dentures.
- Have loose dentures checked immediately as they can cause friction, pressure, and inflation of the gum tissues and bones.
- When not in use, keep dentures in a safe place away from pets. Store dentures in water or a denture-cleaning solution.
- Most dental insurance policies provide coverage for new dentures every 5 years.